Crowned with a mullet and armed with a mop, redneck janitor Joe Dirt lands in a series of zany misadventures and befriends some eccentric characters as he searches for his parents, who abandoned him at the Grand Canyon when he was 8 years old.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Dennie Gordon
Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; commentary by David Spade; deleted scenes; cast and crew information; bloopers
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Joe Dirt is a 2001 movie starring David Spade as a mullet-sporting janitor in search of his parents. The movie is filled with crass humor; in one scene, a dog's testicles are frozen to a porch and its scrotum is shown stretching as it attempts to free itself. Joe gets covered in human feces, is taken prisoner by a man who dresses in fishnet stockings and makeup and keeps him in a hole, and has his face burned when a cow passes gas into his face. Joe also is called a "queer" and a "retard" by bullies. A sex scene turns into a joke involving incest. There's also frequent profanity, including "s--t" and "p---y," and a misunderstanding in which Joe thinks a man with a thick Cajun accent wants to "see homos naked." Still, in spite of being treated so badly by so many people, Joe manages to maintain a positive attitude and lives by the credo, "Life is a garden. Dig it."
- Sexual Content
- References to masturbation and to the body parts of various women. Joe asks to see a woman's "boobies." A sexual encounter between Joe and another woman turns into a joke involving incest; the sex is heard (moaning, creaky bed springs) but not seen. Naked male buttocks when two pilots "moon" Joe from their airplane. A dog mounts Joe's leg and humps it. A dog's testicles are frozen to the porch, and the dog's scrotum is shown stretching as he attempts to free himself.
- Comedic pratfalls. A combination of fire and a cow's flatulence results in a character's face being burned. Characters use lighter fluid and gasoline combined with Roman candles. A dog is shot and killed with a shotgun. Joe fights a bullying oil rig worker; the worker is killed by burning to death. Joe wears a T-shirt that reads "I Choked Linda Lovelace." Joe is bullied by office workers and shoved into a wall. Characters shoot machine guns. A crocodile traps Joe in its mouth and flings him around. A woman speaks of pushing her husband into a wood chipper. Joe gets covered in human feces and is taken prisoner by a man who dresses in fishnet stockings and makeup and keeps him in a hole.
- Frequent profanity: "s--t," "hell," "crap," "suck," "son of a bitch," "p---y." Bullies call Joe Dirt a "queer" and a "retard." Joe calls masturbation "jerkin' my gherkin'." Joe misunderstands a man with a thick Cajun accent and thinks he says he's "seeing homos naked."
- Social Behavior
- Maintaining a positive outlook on life. Being true to yourself.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Cigarette smoking. Beer drinking. A child finds a can of chewing tobacco while exploring the inside of a garbage can.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it