In a Nova Scotia fishing village, a wonderful new world unfolds for deaf-mute Belinda McDonald (Jane Wyman) after kindly doctor Robert Richardson (Lew Ayres) takes a professional interest in her and teaches Belinda to communicate. But things turn ugly after the town bully (Stephen McNally) rapes Belinda and she ends up pregnant. Wyman earned top Oscar honors for her fine performance in this well-crafted weeper.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Jean Negulesco
- 1949 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Motion Picture (Drama)
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama)
- 1949 Academy Award®
- Best Actress: Jane Wyman
- Best Writing nominee
- Best Director nominee: Jean Negulesco
- Best Music Score nominee
- Best Picture nominee
- Best Art Direction Black and White nominee
- Best Cinematography Black and White nominee
- Best Film Editing nominee
- Best Actor nominee: Lew Ayres
- Best Supporting Actor nominee: Charles Bickford
- Best Sound nominee
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Filmed in B&W; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it