Justin and the Knights of Valor
In this animated saga set in medieval times, a young boy slips away from his family home and begins a long journey to pursue his dream of becoming a knight. Seeking instruction from three wise monks, he makes his way to their remote abbey.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Manuel Sicilia
- Children & Family
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Justin and the Knights of ValorClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Justin and the Knights of Valor is a full-length animated film with some original songs. It takes place in medieval times with knights, ladies, wizards, and great villains, but in terms of jokes, characters, and some story elements, there is a modern sensibility (such as the inclusion of a stereotypically effeminate villain with a love of fashion; the young hero is torn between becoming a knight to save his kingdom or "going to law school"). There's lots of comedy and plenty of cartoon action, including swordplay, stabbings, and a threatening fire; a villain falls to his death. A Spanish production with prominent English-speaking actors, this theatrical film was released internationally in 2013 but is making its American debut as direct-to-DVD.
- Frequent cartoon action and violence: swordplay, crossbows, attacks by strongmen. A silly crocodile-like dragon wreaks comic havoc. Characters are pummeled, stabbed, thrown, chased, and captured, and they fall -- a villain plummets to his death.
- Insults are uttered in disgust: "pinhead," "idiots," "dunderheads." Some characters are the objects of laughter and derision.
- Social Behavior
- Teamwork is a plus in overcoming adversity. Ordinary people can sometimes surprise with their heroism. A questionable but clearly stated message is: "If you go against your dad, you have to believe in yourself."
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Several scenes take place in a pub, with beer served in flagons. A leading character is a barmaid.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it