In 1950s Los Angeles, three wildly different cops form an uneasy alliance to ferret out deep-seated police corruption. But some people will do anything to land their faces in the pages of trashy Hollywood tabloids such as Hush-Hush magazine.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Curtis Hanson
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 1998 BAFTA®
- 1998 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Best Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Top 100 Thrills nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; production notes; isolated film score audio track; cast & crew interviews; filmographies; TV spots; trailers; behind-the-scenes featurette.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this isn't a thrill-ride cops-a-go-go actioner for kids. Laden with vicious homicide, numerous subplots and multiple characters, it depicts deep police-force corruption and entrenched brutality in law-enforcement. Even its "heroic" policemen are badly flawed, self-serving characters. One crusades chivalrously against assailants who batter women; yet he himself becomes one, out of sexual jealousy. Swear words flow thicker than the bloody wounds, and there is much talk of prostitution and sex.
- Sexual Content
- Revealing clothing and brief female nudity, in bed (including a tied-up rape victim) and in the morgue. References to masturbation and pornography. Hints of kinky sex. The heroine is a working prostitute.
- Vicious beat-downs, gun-downs, men riddled bloodily with machine-gun and shotgun blasts. People with slashed wrists/throats/legs; bloody bodies pile up after a massacre. A rotted, rat-eaten corpse. The heroine is slapped around by a boyfriend.
- "F--k" and "s--t" uttered frequently, and a lot of derogatory terms for women.
- Social Behavior
- With cops like these, who needs gangsters? Police use bullying, blackmail and frame-up tactics against suspects, showing particular hatred for minorities. One police character says planting evidence and using brutality is standard for how cop detectives operate. Though technically "good" guys, Exley and White have their ruthless dark sides and both sleep with the same glamour-girl prostitute, though they manage to set aside their hatred for each other in the end.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Social drinking that results in a violent, drunken brawl. Talk and depiction of marijuana, heroin, and cocaine.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it