Magic Beyond Words: The J.K. Rowling Story
Poppy Montgomery stars as Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling, dramatizing the rags-to-riches story of one of the most beloved writers in history. This biopic follows Rowling from her early struggles to her life atop the bestseller lists.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Paul A. Kaufman
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Magic Beyond Words: The J.K. Rowling StoryClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Magic Beyond Words: The J.K. Rowling Story chronicles Rowling's journey as writer, first as a precocious teen developing her voice and later as a single mother struggling to find time to write. In scenes of her teenage years, there's a fight with a bully, some casual smoking and drinking, and then later, as an adult, a scene of domestic abuse with her first husband in front of her infant daughter. She also experiences her mother's diagnosis of MS and death. However, the focus is on the genesis of the Harry Potter series and Rowling's frustrations as a developing writer. Fans of the series will find satisfying chronology here and an inspirational tale of "making it," but aspiring writers may be disappointed by the lack of insight into Rowling's craft.
- Sexual Content
- A man and woman kiss a few times, go on a date. A woman sees a man kissing another woman. Some light flirting.
- Teen girl slapped in the face, pushed, and punched in the stomach. A woman falls in the bathroom, is later diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She later dies; her funeral is shown. A man and woman argue; he pushes her, pulls her by the hair, throws her out, all while shouting abusive things in front of their infant child.
- Social Behavior
- Follow your dreams; perseverance pays off.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Teenage smoking and drinking, without consequence. Adults drink at a bar in a few scenes. A man is drunk and abusive.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it