Based on folk tales that the producers gathered from African villages, this HBO Family animated series centers on Pula, a little African girl, and her multicultural friends Marcus, Navitha, Josh and Melissa. The kids go on different adventures in Pula's grandmother's enchanted basement and learn important life lessons. The groundbreaking series seeks to continue the tradition of African story-telling and has won numerous awards.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Firdaus Kharas
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this imaginative animated series exposes kids to African folktales that are acted out by a multicultural group of characters. The show celebrates the oral history that's central to African traditions and draws parallels between the tribal stories and scenarios that kids will relate to, like disputes among friends and feeling let down by a parent. Lessons in patience, generosity, fairness, and honesty are central to this worthwhile series. At least one tale includes a death, but no violence is shown on screen. Characters kiss briefly when acting out some tales.
- Sexual Content
- Storylines occasionally call for brief kisses between folk tale characters, who are played by kids.
- Minor injuries like bumps or nosebleeds are said to result from falls, but they're not shown. In at least one of the traditional stories, a character dies.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Multicultural characters (African, Caucasian, Indian, and Asian) and traditional African folk tales combine to promote positive messages about patience, sharing, honesty, interpersonal relationships, and more. One character stutters, but it's never cause for teasing from his friends. Another boy occasionally bullies his peers, but through the folktales he learns respect and compassion.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- In one tale, a man dies after falling victim to the devil's plan to get him to smoke a pipe. From then on, his death reminds others of the dangers of smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it