Living only with his cat, brooding locksmith A.J. Manglehorn remains in a rut, penning endless letters to his idealized lost love. Given a chance for new relationship with a cheerful bank teller, A.J. faces a choice between the past and the present.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- David Gordon Green
- DVD and Blu-ray
PG-13Parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Manglehorn is a character study that focuses on a lonely old man (played by Al Pacino) who can't seem to get over the one great love of his life. Expect quite a bit of drinking (often to the point of drunkenness); the main character also smokes cigarettes. There's occasional swearing ("s--t" and "goddamn") and some heated, emotional encounters, as well as scenes depicting the aftermath of a car accident -- including people injured and some who may be dead -- and surgery on a cat. A character is solicited by a prostitute after accidentally going into a brothel, and a naked backside is briefly visible in the background. A gun is used to shoot empty bottles.
- Sexual Content
- A character accidentally finds himself in a brothel and storms out in an angry huff after a prostitute solicits him. Another man's naked backside is briefly visible in the background.
- Aftermath of a multi-car accident, including injured people lying on the ground and some people who may be dead. Close-up shots of a cat having surgery. Two men get into a physical altercation that leaves one on the ground. Main character sometimes shoots empty bottles with a gun.
- Occasional swearing includes "s--t," "t-ts," and "dammit."
- Social Behavior
- Love and connection are important and should be valued. It's worth trying to salvage a damaged relationship by figuring out where you went wrong and how you can correct it.
- Wealthy character drives a fancy Porsche.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- The main character smokes cigarettes frequently and often gets drunk alone. He drinks whisky at home, has more drinks while gambling alone in a casino, and sometimes goes to bars.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it