Mona Lisa Smile
At Wellesley College in 1953, the all-female student population constitutes the best and the brightest, yet they're still measured by how well they marry -- until the arrival of a professor who threatens to upend the status quo.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Mike Newell
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; music video; featurettes; cast and crew information; trailer.
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Mona Lisa SmileClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie has very explicit sexual references for a PG-13 movie, including promiscuous characters, adultery, and discussion of birth control (which was illegal in the era portrayed in the movie). Characters drink, some get tipsy, and some abuse alcohol. Just about everyone smokes. Characters use strong language including an ugly anti-Semitic epithet. Strengths of the movie include its efforts to address the issues that would be raised by the feminists of the 1960s and its positive portrayal of a gay character who is accepted without prejudice (though dismissed from her position for other reasons).
- Sexual Content
- Explicit sexual references for a PG-13 movie, including promiscuous characters, adultery, and discussion of birth control (which was illegal in the era portrayed in the movie).
- Tense confrontations.
- Characters use strong language including an ugly anti-Semitic epithet.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Characters drink, some get tipsy or abuse alcohol, many characters smoke.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it