Monster High: Haunted
When Spectra Vondergeist goes back to her old ghost school to find out why Monster High is being haunted, the other ghouls use Boogey Sand to transform into ghosts so they can follow her.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Children & Family
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
NRDirected to Older Children. This program is designed for children age 7 and above.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Monster High: HauntedClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Monster High: Haunted is another animated DVD entry in the popular Mattel franchise about assorted teen monsters, vampires, ghosts, and so on. The doe-eyed, curvy high school "ghouls" in iffy costumes haven't changed, but the emphasis is on character, diversity, and some straightforward issues that affect real-world high school kids today -- in this instance, careless blogging, rumor-mongering, and gossip. Other than some spooky music, eerie sounds, and an appropriately evil school principal with a mysterious past who likes to keep kids in detention by chaining them, there's nothing really scary or intense. Kids who are comfortable with real vs. pretend violence should have no problem here. With this DVD, fans who enjoy the otherworldly aspects of the stories will be introduced to a new high school filled with a variety of ghosts, both heroic and wicked. And, of course, Mattel encourages those fans with many new dolls and toys on their already considerable list of products.
- Some suspenseful, spooky music; a few mild scares. Female villain is ghostly school principal with luminous dark eyes and a menacing voice who threatens students. Her often-used method of punishment is chaining up the heroic "ghouls," keeping them in the ghost world she rules with an iron hand. Some chases and spells.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Shows that rumor and gossip can be very hurtful, while promoting truth-telling, checking facts, and refusal to engage in hearsay and mean chatter. Values teamwork, loyalty, and friendship. Attempts to uncover reasons for bad behavior and affect changes in that behavior. Issues "shout-outs" to writing and painting as pastimes good for expressing oneself, working out frustrations, and fun.
- Introduces an entire new line of ghost dolls and accessories from neighboring Haunted High. A strong example of Mattel's cross-marketing from toys and products to videos, games, and TV shows.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it