This coming-of-age tearjerker follows a momentous summer in the life of 11-year-old Vada Sultenfuss, who learns powerful lessons about love and loss as she grapples with profound changes -- including a new woman in her widowed father's life.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Howard Zieff
PG-13Parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital Mono, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that death is the main theme of this movie. Vada's mother died while giving birth to her (this is never depicted; only alluded to). A main character dies tragically from bee stings (again, the death is off screen). This sudden, unexpected death is bound to have an emotional impact on impressionable viewers. Divorce is mentioned, and there are a few obtuse references to sex.
- Sexual Content
- Obscure references to sex and the sexual revolution.
- A character dies offscreen from bee stings.
- The "s" word, "ass." One character calls her friend a "retard."
- Social Behavior
- Child learns that life goes on after the death of loved ones.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Reference to lighting a joint.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it