The life of quirky, ninja-loving, Idaho-dwelling teenager Napoleon Dynamite gets complicated when his shady Uncle Rico shows up. Meanwhile, a shy girl starts showing Napoleon some attention, and his best friend decides to run for school president.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Jared Hess
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 2004 Sundance Film Festival®
- Grand Jury Prize: Drama nominee
- 2005 Independent Spirit Awards®
- Best Supporting Male nominee: Jon Gries
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1, Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; audio commentary; deleted scenes; making-of featurette; production stills; trailer.
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HD, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; audio commentary; deleted scenes; outtakes; photo gallery; audition videos; documentaries; casting Napoleon Dynamite; additional featurettes.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that while this quirky film celebrates nerds and misfits, some may feel it fuels mockery and ridicule; others will simply find it funny. The comic action includes slapstick pratfalls and exaggerated bullying by school tough guys. The language is never obscene; characters rely instead on insults ("idiot," "sicko," "retarded") and disguised swearing ("frickin'," "flippin'," "crap"). And there is mild sexual innuendo, along with some kissing and embracing. Napoleon Dynamite became a box office bonanza, cultural phenomenon, and spawned an animated series.
- Sexual Content
- Other than numerous scenes that include comical efforts to sell an herbal breast-enhancing product (using flyers and "straight-talking" sales pitches), sexuality is limited to mild kissing, embracing, and exaggerated attempts at seduction, all with humorous intent. No nudity.
- Teens ineptly wrestle, slap, and fight. School bullies torment the social misfits but inflict no injuries. Some animal cruelty is shown, and a man appears to have been beaten up by a jealous husband.
- Insults and substitutes for obscenities only: multiple uses of "idiot," "frickin'," "retarded," "crap," "sicko," and "flippin'." One character is described as "still wets the bed."
- Social Behavior
- Nonconformity is celebrated in Napoleon Dynamite. Underneath the silliness and deadpan behavior of its main characters is the premise that even the lowliest members of a social order can succeed. Everyone has something to offer, no matter how offbeat or unconventional. Dignity and respect are possible by creating friendships and forming a community of people with whom one shares values and goals.
- Dodge van, Tater Tots, Gossner Milk.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it