Tracing jazz singer and pianist Nina Simone's stormy life and career, this affecting biopic recounts her astonishing decision to stop recording and the determined efforts of her manager, Clifton Henderson, to restore her passion for music.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Cynthia Mort
- DVD and Blu-ray
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Nina is a biographical movie about the life of monumental singer-songwriter-musician Nina Simone (Zoe Saldana). It explores her life when she was at her lowest depths -- often drunk, combative, and unable to connect except through music. This makes for a sometimes-intense biopic that includes plenty of lows juxtaposed against highs, including loud fights with both verbal and physical attacks. There's also strong language ("f--k" and more), many scenes of drunkenness, kissing, a woman's bare backside, and incidents involving guns and knives. The movie has drawn some controversy due to the fact that Saldana used prosthetics and skin-darkening make-up to look more like Simone.
- Sexual Content
- Kissing and blatant propositioning. A woman is seen lounging with someone else in bed; when she stands up, her bare backside is briefly seen.
- Nina points a gun at a man; later, she attacks a police officer and, in a separate incident involving a knife, an audience member. She screams and cusses people out. Discussion about how she has been hit by the men in her life.
- Frequent strong language includes everything from "f--k" (and variations thereof) to "damn" and "a--hole."
- Social Behavior
- A new beginning is there for those who want to claim it; also, greatness isn't diminished by human frailty.
- Products/brands include Air France, Steinway.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Simone is portrayed as an addict who drank constantly. She almost needed medication to stabilize her mental illness.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it