Director Sally Potter adapts Virginia Woolf's 1928 allegorical novel about a woman who lives for 400 years -- the first half as a man -- in this surrealist study of sex and gender roles throughout the ages. The transition from man to woman and from the 16th to the 20th century is realized by Tilda Swinton's breakthrough performance and the film's Oscar-nominated costumes and art direction. Quentin Crisp plays Queen Elizabeth I.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Sally Potter
- 1994 Independent Spirit Awards®
- Best Foreign Film nominee
- 1994 Academy Award®
- Best Costume Design nominee
- Best Art Direction nominee
Spanish (Neutral), French, EnglishClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital Mono
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it