May-Alice Culhane (Mary McDonnell) is a soap opera star who's left paralyzed after a car accident and, left with few other options, returns to her Louisiana home. Her heavy drinking and bad attitude drive away all of her caregivers. That is, until Chantelle (Alfre Woodard) comes to work for her. The two women form an unlikely friendship in this John Sayles film, which earned McDonnell an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- John Sayles
- 1993 Independent Spirit Awards®
- 1993 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture nominee
- 1993 Academy Award®
- Best Writing Original Screenplay nominee
- Best Actress nominee: Mary McDonnell
Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Fullscreen and widescreen, with Dolby Digital Surround and Dolby Digital sound for the French and Spanish dubs. There's not much here other than the movie - but really, you don't need much more than that.
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it