In this modern-day fairy tale, a young woman cursed with the nose of a pig lives her entire life in seclusion -- until an unlikely beau stumbles onto the scene and convinces her to celebrate her inner beauty.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Mark Palansky
- DVD and streaming
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1, Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English SDH, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this fairy-tale-like film has a lot of heart. There's not much iffy content (a bit of drinking and innuendo is the bulk of it), and the main character is devoted to discovering her own identity and making peace with her circumstances, though it's sometimes hard for her to overcome her shame. Her parents -- especially her mother -- can't seem to accept her as she is, which could be upsetting for some younger viewers. But in the end (naturally), everything wraps up nicely.
- Sexual Content
- Lots of romance, but no sex (at least none shown). Some innuendo and kissing.
- Men are cruel to Penelope when they see her face to face, and a guard has to tackle some of the suitors who run away. Max has a screaming fight with Lemon, who, in an earlier scene, gets injured for being too zealous at his scandal-seeking job.
- Rare use of words like "damn" and "hell."
- Social Behavior
- Men -- and most of society, for that matter -- shun a woman for looking different. A man lies to get the chance to make money to pay gambling debts. A reporter devotes himself to digging up dirt that destroys a family. A main character runs away, hurting those left behind. A mother fixates on her daughter's looks. All of that said, though, the film has lots of heart.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some beer drinking in a bar (Penelope has her first taste and enjoys it) and elsewhere. Incidental smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it