Perfect Blue follows singer turned actress Mima Kirigoe, who transforms herself into a sexually charged character on a controversial TV series. Her fans revolt -- some even threaten her life. When those involved in her new career are murdered, Mima is driven to paranoia. Will she be next? This unusual flick may be one of the most emotionally evocative thrillers ever animated.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Satoshi Kon
RRestricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
A 1.85:1 image, with English and Japanese sound in Dolby Digital 5.1, and English subtitles. The English dub is good -- a rarity for an anime DVD. Extras include a look at the recording of the soundtrack and interviews with voice-over artists and animators.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this animated thriller may look like a Sailor Moon episode, but it has serious violence and death, with the recurring images of stabbing-victims with their eyes gouged out. The girlish heroine strips down to panties for a sexy photo shoot and is also semi-topless during a maniac attack. Swearing (in the English-dubbed version) includes the F-word but isn't constant.
- Sexual Content
- Mima is bare-breasted in an attack that rips her shirt open. She's also topless in a photo shoot/magazine layout. A model's corpse (in a TV drama) is wearing only shoes, panties, and blood.
- Gruesome murders and attacks emphasize knives and stilettoes, with eyes stabbed/gouged out. A beating, with blood drawn. Falls and near-deaths from road accidents. A character left bloody by a letter bomb. Mima cuts herself on broken glass to see if she's real or not.
- The f-word (in various permutations), the s-word, "asshole," "bastard," "damn," "slut."
- Social Behavior
- What there is of a lesson is the downside of fame and exploitation. Along the way, Mima learns to get a grasp on her sense of identity as a music/movie superstar, via threats of death.
- A briefly seen group of TV superheroes are clearly Power Ranger clones.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it