Director Nnegest Likke's full-bodied feature debut stars Mo'Nique as Jazmin, a sassy fashion designer frustrated with trying to fit into a size 2 world. Together with a rotund cohort (Kendra C. Johnson), the ever-outspoken Jazmin struggles with her weight and with love. But when the plump pair win a trip to a fancy Palm Springs resort, they meet the men of their dreams -- when they're least expecting to find romance.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Nnegest Likke
- This movie is
PG-13Sexual content and language, including some crude sexual references
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this film includes sexual imagery ("comic" sex scenes, against a wall, passionate-awkward kissing, in a suds-filled tub) and language (slang for genitals and sexual activity). The film also includes language that pushes the PG-13 edge, including one f-word and especially, repetition of the word "bitch" (which Jazmin uses in reference to herself as well as the "skinny bitches" she hates). Some antic violence (as when Jazmin hits a girl and a man who call her "fat," or drops objects from her apartment window and hits her cousin on the sidewalk).
- Sexual Content
- Lots of sexual imagery: Opening dream scene has Jazmin pleasured by male servants; repeated cleavage, thongs, bikinis, underwear or short shorts images; bare-torsoed men ogled by women; Stacey has sex with Akibo against wall, in tub (naked bodies in suds); Mia asks, "What's gotten into Stacey?" Answer: "Dr. Akibo" Jazmin stands naked before her mirror (we see shoulders up and Mia's averted eyes); Jazmin and Tunde kiss passionately; Jazmin and Tunde have sex under covers, then she turns on the light to "see" him. Many sexual language/references.
- Jazmin punches skinny girl (as a child, in flashback) and a man who calls her a "fat bitch" Jazmin pulls toupee off banker who won't give her a loan (guards drag her out yelling and kicking); Jazmin throws clothes and objects out her bedroom window, hitting Mia on sidewalk below.
- "Dozens" competition between Jazmin and burger clerk ("You so ugly..." and "You so fat" jokes involving mamas, morning sickness, "giving head," "butt-cracks"); Jazmin's frequent use of "bitch" elicits Tunde's remonstration; s-word, one f-word, one "motherf--er" in subtitle; frequent uses of "ass," "damn," "hell."
- Social Behavior
- Good points about plus-size women supporting each and themselves; not so good points about competition between plus-size and thin women; and men still get to chose their partners even as women argue.
- Fictional fast-food joint: "Fatasssburger."
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking in bars and clubs; Jazmin drinks shots; Mia is visibly drunk as she orders a Cosmopolitan; women celebrate with champagne.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it