Pinocchio (English Version)
Roberto Benigni wrote, directed and stars in this enchanting retelling of Pinocchio, the wooden puppet who comes to life and whose curious spirit leads him into one wild adventure after another.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Roberto Benigni
- This movie is
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; featurettes.
Pinocchio (English Version)Close
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this live-action Italian version of Pinocchio has many dark, confusing scenes; is (badly) dubbed into English; and, at nearly two hours, is very slow going. Characters are in jeopardy throughout: Some are injured, some appear dead for lengthy periods of time, and some actually are dead. Pinocchio has many narrow escapes -- from drowning, hanging, getting caught in an animal trap, being swallowed by a whale, and more. The movie's messages are heavy handed and repetitious, but eventually the naughty puppet does see the error of his ways.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable.
- Many action sequences that could be frightening and confusing to kids. Characters die and/or get injured, and some then come back to life -- including Pinocchio (shown in shadows, hanging lifeless from a rope for several minutes), Gepetto (he disappears in the ocean after his boat capsizes and doesn't reappear until much later), and a young man who is turned into a donkey and ultimately dies. There are black-clothed, shadowy characters labeled "assassins" and "robbers" that threaten Pinocchio and laugh hideously. The traditional whale that swallows Pinocchio and his father is a scary creature with giant teeth. Also chases, falls, a runaway log wreaking havoc on a village, and fist fights.
- "Nitwit," "nincompoop," and other insults.
- Social Behavior
- Very clear messages throughout: Get-rich schemes never work, telling a lie is always bad, success is based on hard work and honesty, never break your promises, and always listen to your parents.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it