In this star-studded Civil War epic, spoiled Southern belle Susanna Drake (Elizabeth Taylor) lures pacifist abolitionist John Shawnessy (Montgomery Clift) away from his high school sweetheart (Eva Marie Saint) and into an unhappy marriage. Frustrated, John leaves home to fight for the Union army. During filming, Clift had a well-publicized car accident that damaged his face, which accounts for his strongly shifting appearance throughout the movie.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Edward Dmytryk
- This movie is
- 1958 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture nominee
- 1958 Academy Award®
- Best Actress nominee: Elizabeth Taylor
- Best Art Direction nominee
- Best Costume Design nominee
- Best Music Score nominee
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, Chinese SimplifiedClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access. This film spans two discs; both will be shipped to you simultaneously.
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it