Chris Columbus's faithful adaptation of the Tony Award-winning musical set in New York's East Village boasts a slew of stars from the show's original Broadway cast, including Adam Pascal, Anthony Rapp, Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs and Jesse L. Martin. Based on Puccini's opera "La boheme," the story follows a group of scrappy bohemians who face true love, broken hearts, drug addiction and AIDS -- and paying rent to high-powered oppressors.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Chris Columbus
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
PG-13Mature thematic material involving drugs and sexuality, and for some strong language
English, FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.40:1Subtitles
English, English SDH, Chinese Simplified, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish (Neutral), ThaiClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: PCM SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that given the nature of the subject matter, they might want to see it with their kids, or even before them, so that they can talk to them about the themes and the content of the film. After all, this musical features characters who are addicted to heroin, have AIDS, and argue with one another over class politics and property. Characters smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, smoke a joint, and appear purchasing and shooting heroin. One couple is lesbian, another is gay (one partner being a transvestite). Early on, a character is beaten bloody by muggers. One character pole dances in a strip club, others are HIV positive and one character dies of AIDS in a very sad scene. Peppery language includes two f-words, as well as other mild cursing (s-words, "ass," "damn"). But the eight protagonists are charismatic and committed to one another, which offers a healthy model of friendship and romance.
- Sexual Content
- Characters sing about love and sex; one dances at a strip club; another is a drag queen' couples are gay, lesbian, and straight.
- Character beaten by street thugs in beginning; a couple of HIV+ characters become visibly ill; one dies.
- Lyrics include at least two f-words, as well as other mild and frequent cursing.
- Social Behavior
- Characters do drugs; characters argue and fight; in the end, they learn the value of love.
- New York City streets include billboards, flyers, and neon ads for fictional brands.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Smoking, drinking, and pot-smoking; heroin purchase and shooting.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it