Return to Nim's Island
Young Nim Rusoe's adventures continue in this sequel as she and her father take on developers planning to transform their island home. While her father is away pursuing their cause, Nim begins a search for endangered animal species.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Brendan Maher
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Return to Nim's IslandClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Return to Nim's Island is a sequel to the 2008 production Nim's Island and continues the story (with a different cast) of a now-teen girl on a mission to save her island home from developers and others who would harm the wildlife there. Expect some tense moments and peril when poachers trap Nim's animal friends and threaten her life and her friend's. Products like Ozark Trail outdoor equipment and Duracell batteries are featured on a few occasions. The fictional story is steeped in environmental messages about the plight of endangered species, enhanced by the presence of conservationist Bindi Irwin as Nim, a self-reliant, impassioned defender of her animal neighbors and the purity of her island home. Families will also enjoy the story's strong messages about friendship and perseverance.
- Sexual Content
- Some innocent affection between Nim and Edmund, culminating in a hug and a continuing friendship.
- The movie's villains are animal poachers who threaten Nim's and Edmund's lives on a few occasions. Nim is held captive at knifepoint in one instance, and both teens are in danger when their adversary traps them in a cave by starting a fire. More tense moments follow them as they attempt to outmaneuver the bad guys, in one case by baiting a colony of bees to sting them. The poachers' carelessness almost results in the death of a main animal character.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Nim's "island smarts" and resourceful nature are second only to her passion for creatures great and small. Everything she does is motivated by her desire to protect them and their habitats. On the downside, she lacks even an iota of realistic fear in facing off with career criminals with little regard for her life, and the fact that she so easily outwits them is a good reminder of the magic of the movies. Nim and Edmund forge an unexpected bond of friendship.
- Fairly obvious placement of Walmart and Procter & Gamble products like Ozark Trail outdoor equipment, Duracell batteries, and Apple computers. This movie is a follow-up to the 2008 feature film Nim's Island.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it