When Jackie's free-spirited son swaps college for the breakers of California, she decides to follow him west, hoping to mend fences between them. Soon after arriving, Jackie meets a young surfing instructor who helps her rediscover her sexuality.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Helen Hunt
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
RRestricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Ride is an independent drama about a helicopter mom who's having a tough time letting her 18-year-old son make his own decisions. Starring and written/directed by Helen Hunt, the film explores not only mother-son dynamics but also how moms need to take care of themselves and have lives separate from their children. The relationship drama includes some strong language ("f--k," "s--t," "bitch," etc.), a scene in which the mom smokes pot, and a couple of love scenes with kissing and bare backs/shoulders. Parents and teens who watch together will have the opportunity to discuss everything from college choices to the idea of working to live, rather than living to work.
- Sexual Content
- Adults kiss and have sex a couple of times; bare arms, backs, and a male chest are visible in the bedroom scene. A woman jokes that a man should use her for her body until she's ready to dump him. A mother allows her son to bring girlfriends back to their apartment, presumably to have sex.
- A woman is stung by a jellyfish while surfing and requires someone to urinate on her foot.
- A couple uses of "f--k," plus several of "s--t," "a--hole," "bulls--t," "bitch," and "Jesus" (as an exclamation).
- Social Behavior
- Overall message is about learning to how to lead a life well lived -- "working to live" versus "living to work." Also a strong message about giving your kids the space they need to become independent adults (and taking the time you need for yourself, too).
- Featured products include Apple (iPhone, MacBook Pro), Volvo, Quiksilver.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Jackie smokes marijuana that her son drops on the floor.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it