Those who can't get enough of point breaks and "shooting curls" will appreciate this comprehensive look at the history of surfing, from its origins as a tiny subculture to its widespread resurgence -- and surfers' ongoing obsession with the sport. Stacy Peralta (who also helmed the acclaimed skateboard documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys) directs this critically lauded opener to the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Stacy Peralta
- This movie is
- DVD and Blu-ray
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access;audio commentary; deleted scenes; trailer; featurette.
English, HindiClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HDOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; audio commentary; making-of featurette; additional featurette; deleted scenes.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that young surfers and surfer wannabes will be very interested in seeing this movie that could have been a PG without the profanity. Interestingly, it's the older surfers who have the worst cases of potty mouth. Other than that, there's not much to worry about. There are multiple wipeouts, including one that killed a famous surfer. We hear of other surfers dying as well. In old footage we see a group of young surfers squirting lighter fluid into their mouths and then spitting it into flames -- you may want to let your kids know that this Jackass-style trick is not a good idea.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable
- We see some wipeouts (including one that killed a surfer), but nothing graphic is shown. We hear about surfers dying.
- Some strong language, including one f-word.
- Social Behavior
- The surfers have about a laid-back attitude about taking risks and facing death.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some smoking is briefly seen, but if you blinked, you would miss it.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it