Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July
Mickey Rooney, Ethel Merman, Red Buttons and Shelley Winters voice the characters in this charming animated tale about how Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer got his shiny nose and how he befriended Frosty the Snowman. When the cheery duo tries to help a needy circus get back on its feet, their archenemy, a wicked wizard named Winterbolt, will stop at nothing … to stop them!
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in JulyClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this is a surprisingly dark tale, considering that it's part of the Rudolph and Frosty pantheon. Though it features beloved holiday characters, the complex plot and the villain's evil machinations -- which, while not overtly violent, put Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa in peril -- may make this iffy for the youngest kids. That said, the cheery Christmas carols interspersed throughout the story act as a welcome contrast to the sinister plot, and the characters learn lessons in the end.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable.
- No direct violence, but a suprising amount of threatening imagery for a holiday special, from evil King Winterbolt to his malevolent Genie of the Ice Scepter to "rein-snakes" that menace Rudolph.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Characters sacrifice their own needs for those of others, suffering steep consequences in the process. A married couple repeatedly talks about how much they love each other and their children, a mantra that comes in handy when they're threatened.
- There's lots of Frosty and Rudolph tie-in merchandise out there -- but most of it is tied to higher-profile specials.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it