In this fact-based drama about the triumph of the human spirit, scrawny high schooler Rudy Ruettiger (Sean Astin) dreams of playing football at Notre Dame. But his father (Ned Beatty) can't afford to send him, so he ends up at a college across the street instead. Undaunted, Rudy eventually transfers to Notre Dame, where he takes on duties assisting the groundskeeper (Charles S. Dutton) and joins the school's practice squad.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- David Anspaugh
- DVD and Blu-ray
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), French, Korean, Chinese Simplified, ThaiClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; region 1 encoding; interactive menus; scene access; enhanced for 16x9 TVs; isolated film score audio track; featurette; cast/crew biographies; trailer(s)
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1Subtitles
English, FrenchClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Rudy includes some scenes of bitter disappointment and brutality on the football field (including bloody wounds and bruises) that might be inappropriate for younger or more sensitive kids. Expect some rough language ("s--t" and "ass" mostly), plus some drinking (Rudy gets drunk enough to reveal information that gets him kicked off the booster squad). A fiery plant explosion kills Rudy's best friend. The movie extols the virtues of perseverance and hard work; Rudy overcomes seemingly impossible odds to achieve his goal.
- Sexual Content
- In exchange for free tutoring, the outgoing Rudy approaches pretty college girls to introduce to his shy tutor.
- A fiery plant explosion kills Rudy's best friend. When Rudy wins a place on the Notre Dame prep team, all his practice time is spent hitting other teammates as hard as he can. The harder he plays, the more his teammates and coaches respect him. The players are covered with bleeding wounds and bruises from their exertions.
- "Bullsh--t," "ass," "crap," "goddamn," and "pissed off." A coach promises to "beat the s--t out of" guys trying out for the team. A character is called a "pussy."
- Social Behavior
- Persistence, sacrifice, and hard work pay off: Rudy overcomes dyslexia and spends two years at junior college to gain acceptance into Notre Dame and onto the "prep" squad of the football team, guys who help the actual players in practice.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- At a bar, Rudy gets drunk enough to reveal information that gets him kicked off the booster squad. Other scenes in bars.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it