Shakespeare in Love
Young Shakespeare (Joseph Fiennes) is forced to stage his latest comedy, "Romeo and Ethel, the Pirate's Daughter," before it's even written. When a lovely noblewoman (Gwyneth Paltrow) auditions for a role, they fall into forbidden love -- and his play finds a new life (and title). As their relationship progresses, Shakespeare's comedy soon transforms into tragedy. This bittersweet romance won seven Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Actress.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- John Madden
- This movie is
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
- 1999 BAFTA®
- 1999 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture nominee
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture nominee
- Top 100 Passions
- Top 100 Laughs nominee
- 1999 Academy Award®
- Best Music Score
- Best Picture
- Best Actress: Gwyneth Paltrow
- Best Supporting Actress: Judi Dench
- Best Writing Original Screenplay
- Best Art Direction
- Best Costume Design
- Best Makeup nominee
- Best Film Editing nominee
- Best Sound nominee
- Best Director nominee: John Madden
- Best Cinematography nominee
- Best Supporting Actor nominee: Geoffrey Rush
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
English, Spanish (Neutral), English SDHClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HDOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; cast and crew commentary; deleted scenes; theatrical trailer; TV spots; additional featurettes.
Shakespeare in LoveClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie has numerous racy moments, including graphic sexual scenes and partial female nudity. Much of the dialogue carries a crass sexual undertone. However, the violence, consisting mostly of sword and dagger battles, is relatively benign for a teenage audience.
- Sexual Content
- Numerous sexual encounters, some with nudity.
- Sword and dagger fighting. A man's boot-clad feet are burned as punishment for an unpaid debt; his torturers then threaten to cut off his ears if the sum is not soon repaid.
- Bawdy banter and a few expletives.
- Social Behavior
- Shows the power of a good love story to compel an audience.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Characters drink in a tavern and a brothel. Alcohol-induced disorder erupts.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it