Four months before the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, an American operative is investigating the murder of a close friend in Japanese-occupied Shanghai -- and uncovers a web of conspiracy in the process.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Mikael Håfström
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Shanghai is a period thriller meant to evoke the spy/detective movies of the 1940s; it looks beautiful, and the screenplay is ambitious, but it eventually becomes muddled and lost. There are several scenes of shooting, with blood sprays and death, as well as punching and stabbing (and the associated bloody wounds). There's no nudity, but the main character is shown in bed with a married woman and kissing a second married woman, and there's talk of men cheating on their wives. Language is infrequent but includes uses of "s--t," "bastard," and "bitch." A secondary character seems to be addicted to opium; she goes through withdrawals and is injected with a needle. Scenes take place in an opium den, with opium smokers shown, and characters drink and smoke fairly frequently in clubs and at parties.
- Sexual Content
- Men with (implied) mistresses. Main character shown in bed with a married woman and kisses another married woman.
- Several scenes of soldiers or gangsters shooting people, with blood sprays. Stabbing with bayonets. Knives and neck-slicing. Beating, with bloody faces. Explosions. Fighting.
- Infrequent use of "bulls--t," "bastard," "son of a bitch," "hell," "bitch," and "crap."
- Social Behavior
- Characters' main motivations seem to be revenge and lust for power.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- A secondary character seems addicted to opium (she has withdrawals). Needles shown. Scenes of an opium den, with opium smokers. Plenty of scenes of social drinking at parties or clubs. A character drinks several shots in a row. Some smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it