Nineteenth-century French silk merchant Herve Joncour goes on a trading mission to Japan, where he's bewitched by the beautiful concubine of Baron Baldabiou. But their relationship doesn't end when he returns home to his wife.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Francois Girard
- This movie is
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the only thing that's likely to draw teens to this slow-moving period drama is the fact that star Keira Knightley bares her breasts in one of the film's sensual love scenes. She's not the only one; two other women are shown topless as well, and men are briefly seen naked in profile. On the plus side, there's no profanity and not much violence (though a teenage character is shown hanged, and the main character comes across some burned dead bodies in a ruined village). But the movie's subjects -- the true measure of love and the cost of infidelity -- are definitely aimed more at adults than younger viewers.
- Sexual Content
- Sensual love scenes include naked breasts (some seen in close-up) and simulated intercourse (one of the scenes is an adulterous encounter). Men are also briefly seen naked in profile. Other intimate interactions between characters include a scene in which a woman caresses a man while he's in the bath, and another in which a man observes a naked woman bathing in a hot spring.
- A gun trader passes through a small Japanese village with his wares; Herve sees burned buildings and dead bodies after war comes to the village. A teenage boy is hanged (viewers see his dangling body) for breaking the local leader's rules. The leader threatens Herve with a gun.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- A married man is unfaithful; he trespasses into a country that forbids Westerners; he also visits a brothel (but doesn't avail himself of its services). Nevertheless, he's also devoted to his wife and helps care for a child abandoned by its father. He also risks his life to help save his village from financial ruin.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some sake-drinking and toasting; some other social drinking and smoking (accurate for the time period). Nothing excessive.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it