Singin' in the Rain
Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor combine their talents in one of the greatest big-screen musicals ever made, a two-time Oscar nominee that includes the songs "Good Morning," "Make 'Em Laugh" and the iconic title tune. When Hollywood attempts the transition from silent films to talkies, a matinee idol (Kelly) hopes to make the cut. But he's hampered by a silent-movie queen (Jean Hagen) with a voice like fingernails on a blackboard.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- DVD and Blu-ray
- TIME® Magazine List
- All-TIME 100 Movies
- 1953 BAFTA®
- Best Film nominee
- 1953 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
- Top 100 Movies
- Top 100 Laughs
- Top 100 Passions
- 1953 Academy Award®
- Best Supporting Actress nominee: Jean Hagen
- Best Music Score nominee
GGeneral audiences. All ages admitted.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
There are no extras on this disc, but who needs them when the film looks and sounds as good as this one does? The DVD brings out the bright colors with which Stanley Donen filled this musical, and the 5.1 stereo (from recently discovered stereo tracks) makes this one of the best-sounding DVDs out there. This is a reference DVD that will turn any VHS junkie into a DVD fanatic.
English SDH, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS-HD Master Audio, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; cast commentaries; "Singin' in the Rain: Raining on a New Generation" documentary.
Singin' in the RainClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Singin' in the Rain is widely considered to be the best Hollywood musical ever made, and while it's on and working its magic, that's hard to dispute. There's some flirting and kissing and brief incidents of smoking and drinking, and some characters argue. The characters are a bit on the rowdy and/or naughty side here and there, but they're good-hearted and good-natured at the core. This movie will make anyone's day, provided kids are about 6 or older.
- Sexual Content
- Don flirts heavily with Kathy (and somewhat inappropriately on their first meeting). Don and Lina share an intense kiss while shooting a movie.
- Some passionate arguing. Fans are seen tearing at Don's clothes.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- The characters don't always behave responsibly, and sometimes their actions result in the ridiculing or embarrassment of others. But some eventually team up and work together to solve a sticky problem. Ultimately, love, creativity, and hard work are themes.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Lina is seen holding a cigarette in a holder, but she doesn't smoke it. Cyd Charisse is seen smoking. During a musical number, some dancers are holding martini shakers. In another number, dancers drink champagne.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it