SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie
SpongeBob and Patrick are shocked when Mr. Krabs is accused of stealing King Neptune's crown, and they set out on a wild adventure to prove their friend's innocence by finding and retrieving the priceless treasure themselves.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- DVD and streaming
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; featurettes.
SpongeBob SquarePants: The MovieClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie based on the TV character SpongeBob has cartoon violence with some mature elements -- including drunken knife fights -- that some parents may not feel comfortable with. Also, expect crude humor, name-calling, and many commercial tie-ins. Bikini Bottom seems to have an economy that is entirely fast-food-driven, which may pose a problem for families trying to teach children to eat sensibly.
- Sexual Content
- Characters shown in their underpants, use of body parts for gags. A female character is ogled, and Patrick dresses in stripper boots.
- Gets more violent and perilous as the movie progresses. From shoving, smacking, and stepping-on, to drunken knife fights and dagger-soled boots, there is a creative array of brutal stuff. Bullies act ruthlessly, threatening that "all bubble blowing babies will be beaten senseless." They follow up with punches a-plenty.
- Name-calling: "twit," "stupid," "dork," "ding-a-ling," "damning piece of evidence," and "Sponge Boob."
- Social Behavior
- Some messages about compassion, loyalty, and being yourself tucked inside a whole bunch of silly behavior.
- Commercial tie-ins with junk food and many other products.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Aped drunken behavior after SpongeBob and Patrick binge on ice cream. Real drunken behavior among tough guys in a bar. Beer, cigarettes, bottles of alcohol are consumed by bar patrons. Drunken brawls ensue.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it