The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box
Based on G.P. Taylor's steam-punk tale, this Victorian-era thriller follows Mariah Mundi's journey into darkness to rescue his kidnapped brother. Joined by the enigmatic Captain Charity, Mariah travels to a grandly sinister hotel on a distant island.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Jonathan Newman
- This movie is
PGAdventure action and violence, some peril and brief smoking
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English SDHClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas BoxClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box is based on the British young-adult fantasy series Mariah Mundi and the Midas Box. This period adventure follows the 17-year-old son of antiquities experts whose parents and then little brother are kidnapped. There's more violence than you'd expect from family fare and it includes dark and tense scenes of people being shot at, nearly choked, gagged and bound, enslaved, and left to drown and die. Because of the violence, this movie is definitely more for older tweens and up than younger kids. There's also some smoking and drinking and light romance that's tolerable for the intended audience.
- Sexual Content
- Mariah and Sacha are obviously smitten with each other but they mostly stare at each other longingly, fall on top of each other, and eventually share one kiss.
- There's realistic violence that includes: gun violence and many shots, a man ordering the deaths of several characters by saying "Kill them all!"; a father who sacrifices his life by pushing someone (and himself) to their death in order to save his child; a man nearly choking one character; and a special weapon that vaporizes people. Children are kept as slaves and forced to do hard labor for the villain.
- Insults like "imbecile," "stupid," "coward," and "sniveling."
- Social Behavior
- The message of this movie is to stay true to your word, to do everything in your power to protect your loved ones, and to realize when you need to summon your courage to do the right thing, even if it's scary and potentially dangerous.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Henchmen smoke cigarettes, and adult guests drink at hotel dinner/parties.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it