The American President
Widowed U.S. president Andrew Shepherd (Michael Douglas), one of the world's most powerful men, can have anything he wants -- and what he covets most is Sydney Ellen Wade (Annette Bening), a Washington lobbyist. But Shepherd's attempts at courting her spark wild rumors and decimate his approval ratings in this romantic comedy. Rob Reiner directs, and Michael J. Fox and Martin Sheen co-star. The film was nominated for a Best Score Oscar.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Rob Reiner
- 1996 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
- Top 100 Passions
- 1996 Academy Award®
- Best Music Score nominee
French, EnglishClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
A lovely widescreen disc, with sound in Dolby 5.1 and all the requisite extras -- production notes, trailer, and cast and crew bios. There's not a lot here, but the film's simple presentation does it justice.
The American PresidentClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Sydney and Andrew (both unmarried) sleep together on their second date. Andrew's wife died of cancer, leaving him to raise his daughter alone, which may sadden teens who've lost a parent. There's some minimal cursing, and political rival Robert Rumson is quick to accuse Sydney of being a slut on national television. There's a lot of potential for mean-spirited digs in this film, and some of them are taken, but mostly it's an uplifting romantic comedy in which the president learns to stand up for what he believes in rather than sticking to what makes him popular.
- Sexual Content
- In one scene Sydney is dressed only in a robe. She and Andrew have sex on the second date (nothing graphic is shown). Brief kissing, but nothing explicit.
- Not applicable
- "F--k" is said once, and "s--t" twice.
- Social Behavior
- Andrew faces some challenges, but in the end does what's right. Sydney is a great model of a powerful and compassionate woman.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some drinking, but not to excess.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it