The Astronaut Farmer
A NASA astronaut in training must shelve his dreams of intergalactic travel to save his failing family farm until, one day, inspiration strikes, and he decides to build a homegrown rocket in his barn.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Michael Polish
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1, Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; making-of featurette.
The Astronaut FarmerClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this is an uplifting family-friendly fantasy populated by realistic characters and settings. Younger kids might need some context to understand emotional scenes involving a grandfather's death and a rocket crashing. A character throws a brick through a bank window in anger, and a wife throws a plate at her husband. Kids in the family have to deal with their father's reputation for being "crazy," and his wife has to contend with financial hardship in wake of her husband's obsession. One rocket launch results in an explosion and crash that leaves Charlie in the hospital (some blood). Mild language, including "ass" and "s--t."
- Sexual Content
- Sexual slang ("getting laid").
- Discussion of suicide (an adult child recalls his father's death); Charlie throws a brick through the bank window when he gets a foreclosure notice; angry Audie throws a plate at Charlie; sad scene in which Audie finds her father dead in his bed; first launch features an explosion and crash that leaves Charlie bloody and broken, then laid up in the hospital.
- Mild language, used infrequently and casually: "s--t," "ass," "son of a bitch," "damn it." Some name-calling ("space cadets," "stupid").
- Social Behavior
- Charlie is dedicated to his dream of spaceflight, and his family supports him, even when his obsession threatens their financial well-being; federal agents look menacing.
- Product sponsorship is a thematic concern of the movie (Farmer seeks commercial endorsements to finance the rocket, including Dunkin Donuts, Dairy Queen); other brand names mentioned or shown include Tang, Target, Volkswagen, Coca Cola, John Deere, and Lucky Charms.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Rancher drinks beer.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it