The Bad News Bears
Walter Matthau stars as the grumbling, beer-guzzling Morris Buttermaker, a former minor-league pitcher roped into coaching a crass bunch of perpetually losing half-pint misfits. Desperate to win, Coach Morris brings in two ringers.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Michael Ritchie
- This movie is
- 1977 BAFTA®
- Best Actor nominee: Walter Matthau
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Bad News BearsClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that The Bad News Bears is a rough-edged kids' baseball comedy with some profanity and really iffy behavior (kids smoke, gamble, and ride motorcycles). During the end celebration, the coach gives beer to the 11-year-olds. One character is an alcoholic. The parents push their kids to win at all costs, and the kids are often bratty and mean.
- Sexual Content
- Female maturation comes up.
- Children frequently scuffle. Father slaps son. Coach throws things at his players (including a can of beer).
- No f-word, but almost everything else. Adults and children use extensive profanity --- true to life but potentially offensive. One boy spouts racial epithets (though he isn't really a racist).
- Social Behavior
- Lots of bad behavior all around.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- The star 11-year-old player smokes. During the end celebration, the coach gives beer to the 11-year-olds.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it