Cohabitating couple Gary (Vince Vaughn) and Brooke (Jennifer Aniston) find their once-blissful romance on the rocks when petty spats about lemons and dirty dishes mushroom into an all-out battle for custody of their upscale Chicago condo. An escalating argument ensues as Gary and Brooke continue to live under the same roof, all while cooking up schemes to drive each other off the premises. Judy Davis co-stars as Brooke's diva boss.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Peyton Reed
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know the movie is premised on ugly, angry fighting between exes still sharing a condo, with several scenes that show real pain. Brooke has her pubic area waxed and parades the result in front of her ex (you see her naked back and legs; other body parts are obscured by objects in frame); in turn, Gary hires strippers for a poker game. Characters call each other names and cruelly make fun of each other and their families (this encompasses jokes about homosexuality, promiscuity, and violence/murder). It also features frequent uses of profanity (including at least one f-word).
- Sexual Content
- Many sexual references (especially by Gary, who describes sexual activity and body parts, such as "d--k"); men and women play strip poker (women get down to underwear); Brooke has her pubic area waxed (this scene shows her grimace and exclamation), then walks naked through apartment (you see her upper body and legs, her breasts and crotch blocked by objects in frame); Mary hires a male model whose naked back and butt is visible as she paints.
- Gary plays violent video games; his friend makes jokes about hiring hitmen. Brooke's brother beats up Gary.
- Pushing the edge for PG-13: Language includes one f-word, plus frequent uses (10-15 or more) of "s--t" and other profanity.
- Social Behavior
- After the break-up, exes use cruel tactics to "get even," including visible dates to inspire jealousy, mishandling of property, and nasty accusations during arguments.
- Visible junk food and beer brands (Lays and other chips, Budweiser, fast food wrappers).
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Cigar-smoking and drinking (beer, liquor, wine).
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it