Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen star in this adventure as Shane and Lizzie Dalton, teen twins who live on opposite sides of the country and are reunited in Cabo San Lucas as contestants on a popular reality-TV game show called "The Challenge." In order to win college scholarships, the twins must work together to overcome their differences: Lizzie, who lives in Washington, D.C., is a bit uptight, while Los Angeles-based Shane is a laid-back hippie chick.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Craig Shapiro
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; making-of featurette; blooper reel; trailers; trivia quiz.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that The Challenge is a 2003 Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen movie in which estranged twins battle each other in a Survivor-style TV competition. They risk their team's success as they bicker to prove who is smarter and better at survival in the hot desert. Both find romantic interests and kiss their new boyfriends. Contestants must eat worms, cockroaches, and other gag-inducing items.
- In the Survivor-like TV show, contestants must eat worms, cockroaches, and other gag-inducing items. Contestants are put in the hot desert with little water or food.
- "Uptight, tree-hugging, Birkenstock-wearing."
- Social Behavior
- All the teenage contestants are vying for college scholarships, so underlying the petty sniping and sabotages is a belief that education is important. The values of family loyalty and connections are emphasized.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it