The Cheetah Girls
Television star Raven (of the eponymous show) moves to the silver screen in this charming film about four New York City girls fighting for fame in the music industry while facing challenges that test their friendship. Based on the wildly popular book series of the same name, The Cheetah Girls also features Adrienne Bailon, Sabrina Bryan and Kiely Williams.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Oz Scott
- DVD and streaming
TV-GGeneral Audience. Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; alternate ending; music videos.
The Cheetah GirlsClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the characters' diva personas are likely to be copied by tween (and younger) viewers, which can lead to parental headaches over wardrobe, gotta-have gadgets, and attitude. While messages about self-respect, loyalty to friends and family, and accepting responsibility for choices are prominent throughout the movie, they're somewhat overshadowed by a barrage of cheetah-themed outfits and elaborately chic-ified teen lifestyles. Many scenes include strings of catch phrases ("ka-ching, ka-ching, bling, bling, bling" and "cheetahlicious") and body language (raised eyebrows, head gestures, and eye rolls) that are tolerable in the context of the movie but will become tiresome when copied by young fans.
- Sexual Content
- Mild flirting and one brief kissing scene. Some of the girls' outfits are pretty tight, and dance scenes often include booty shaking.
- Not applicable
- Lots of urban slang (one male character harasses a classmate, insisting she wants to be his "boo," slang for "girlfriend"). Very occasional potty humor (jokes are made when a character steps in dog doo, for example).
- Social Behavior
- The group's music broadcasts anti-prejudice themes and awareness of cultural and personal differences. The Cheetahs value fairness, honesty, and education.
- Characters sport the latest high-tech communication gadgets (cell phones, pagers). Plenty of tie-in Cheetah Girls merchandise available.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it