The Cider House Rules
A surrogate son and protégé to a kindly physician who runs an orphanage in rural Maine, itchy Homer Wells sets off wide-eyed to see the world -- but cold reality soon intrudes on his youthful idealism and moral certitude.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Lasse Hallström
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 2000 BAFTA®
- Best Supporting Actor nominee: Michael Caine
- 2000 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture nominee
PG-13Mature thematic elements, sexuality, nudity, substance abuse and some violence
Widescreen 2.35:1, Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.0Other features
Audio commentary, making-of featurette , deleted scenes
English, Spanish (Neutral), English SDHClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HDOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; audio commentary with director Lasse Hallström, screenwriter John Irving and producer Richard N. Gladstein; making-of featurette; deleted scenes; trailer.
The Cider House RulesClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the movie includes incest, non-explicit scenes of abortions, nudity, drug abuse, and a non-explicit scene of an unmarried couple having sex. There are also some very sad character deaths, including a child.
- Sexual Content
- Nudity, sex, and sexual references, including incest.
- Deaths of characters, brief knife fight.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Character abuses drugs, much smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it