The Constant Gardener
Justin Quayle, a member of the British High Commission based in Africa, launches a quest for the truth and begins his own international investigation when his wife is murdered. But he uncovers a conspiracy more dangerous than he could have imagined.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Fernando Meirelles
- 2006 BAFTA®
- 2006 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
- Best Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- 2006 Academy Award®
- Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz
RLanguage, some violent images and sexual content/nudity
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Constant GardenerClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the movie begins with an abrupt, violent car crash scene resulting in two deaths. The film features complex betrayals (personal, corporate, and political) that will be difficult for younger viewers to follow. It also includes images of impoverished and ailing individuals in Kenyan villages and hospitals, violence (men on horseback chase after villagers), chase scenes, and brief sexuality (a soft-filtered, loving scene with the couple nestled in white sheets). Some language (uttered in anger), and much discussion of disloyalty, lies, and greed on the part of British government officials and international drug corporations.
- Sexual Content
- Romantic, pretty sex, some nudity (pregnant body).
- Violent car crash at start, violence inflicted on villagers, a woman miscarries.
- Used in anger or frustration.
- Social Behavior
- Government and corporate corruption, lies and arguments between friends.
- Discussion of drugs products and patents.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Brief smoking, drinking; drugs given to patients.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it