The Emperor's New Groove
In this animated Disney adventure, South American emperor Kuzco experiences a reversal of fortune when his power-hungry adviser Yzma turns him into a llama. Exiled to the wilderness, Kuzco turns to kindly villager Pacha for help.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Mark Dindal
- DVD and streaming
- 2001 Academy Award®
- Best Music Song nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.66:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; region 1 encoding; interactive menus; scene access; audio commentary; 3 behind-the-scenes featurettes; deleted scenes; 2 music videos: Sting - "My Funny Friend and Me" & Rascal Flatts - "Walk the Llama Llama"; DVD-ROM capabilities; set-top game "The Emperor's Got Game"
The Emperor's New GrooveClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that, like most Disney movies, this one has some scary moments, including a nighttime jungle scene reminiscent of the woods at night in Snow White. Most of the peril is comic, but it still might be too much for kids under 5. And it's worth noting that the sarcastic tone that makes the main character so hilarious could be contagious for young fans. Keep an ear out for remarks like "Me no likey" and "Yeah thanks, you've been a big help." In the end, though, the movie is about a selfish person who sees the error of his ways and reforms, which is a positive take-away.
- Sexual Content
- Kuzco is told to pick a wife from a line of beautiful ladies, all of whom he insults. Yzma exposes her leg -- to the horror of male onlookers, who are constantly bashing her crone-like appearance.
- Though most of the violence is comic, slapstick violence, Yzma does try to kill Kuzco more than once, and she's not shy about saying: "I will KILL you!" Perilous falls and dark jungle scenes might be frightening for younger viewers.
- Bullying language like "shut up," "I hate you," "I'm going to kill you."
- Social Behavior
- This is a story about a spoiled, selfish character who undergoes a major transformation and becomes a good guy -- which sends a positive message about being able to change for the better.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it