The English Patient
Set against the backdrop of World War II, this Oscar-winning drama stars Ralph Fiennes as a badly burned pilot who recounts a tale of doomed romance to the nurse tending him. As his story spills out via flashback, so do secrets about his identity.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Anthony Minghella
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 1997 BAFTA®
- 1997 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Motion Picture (Drama)
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture nominee
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Top 100 Passions
- Top 100 Movies nominee
- 1997 Academy Award®
- Best Picture
- Best Music Score
- Best Director: Anthony Minghella
- Best Cinematography
- Best Sound
- Best Film Editing
- Best Costume Design
- Best Art Direction
- Best Supporting Actress: Juliette Binoche
- Best Actor nominee: Ralph Fiennes
- Best Actress nominee: Kristin Scott Thomas
- Best Writing Adapted Screenplay nominee
RSexuality, some violence and language
Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
English, Spanish (Neutral), English SDHClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HDOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; audio commentaries with screenwriter/director Anthony Minghella, producer Saul Zaentz, and author Michael Ondaatje; cast and crew interviews; making-of featurette; deleted scenes; additional featurettes.
The English PatientClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this film features its fair share of both gore and sex, although the slow pace of the film keeps either from being overwhelming. There is full-frontal female nudity, a case of adultery, a finger is sliced off, and a sandstorm temporarily strands people in the desert. In addition, there are bloody injuries, bombs, explosions, two plane crashes, and several deaths. There is also substance abuse of both alcohol and morphine.
- Sexual Content
- Full frontal nudity (female), sex.
- Guns shoot down a plane, wounded soldiers, burn victims, bombs, a sandstorm, explosions, car crash, man is choked to death, suicides, a finger is cut off.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- There are excellent examples of heroism but there is also an adulterous relationship..
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Characters get drunk to ease pain, many characters drink, morphine is abused.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it