The Fast and the Furious
Domenic Toretto is a Los Angeles street racer suspected of masterminding a series of big-rig hijackings. When undercover cop Brian Spindler infiltrates Toretto's crew, he falls for Toretto's sister and must choose a side: the gang or the LAPD.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Rob Cohen
- This movie is
- DVD and Blu-ray
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; making-of featurette; feature commentary with director Rob Cohen; Racer X: the article that inspired the movie; deleted scenes with optional commentary by director; interactive camera angle stunt sequence; Movie Magic interactive special effects; exclusive featurette on editing for MPAA; visual effects montage; storyboards; music videos; DVD ROM features; trailer.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English SDH, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HD, French: DTS 5.1 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; U-Control and Blu-ray Live exclusive features; video mash-up feature; deleted scenes; multi-angle camera feature; making-of featurettes; behind-the-scenes featurettes; photo gallery; music videos; trailer; editing featurettes; director's commentary.
The Fast and the FuriousClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that The Fast and the Furious is as close to an R-rated film as it can be and remain PG-13. It's very violent, with shoot-outs that leave one character dead and another seriously wounded. A character takes one risk that appears suicidal. Characters drink and smoke. Corona beer seems to be an especially obvious product placement, and giving someone a beer is a gesture of honor and acceptance. There are kisses between opposite-sex and same-sex couples, some very questionable behavior, and women in scanty clothing who are constantly objectified. A woman's breasts are shown through a wet shirt. A woman tells a driver at the starting line of a street race that if he wins, he gets to have a threesome with her and another woman. Men grope at women's breasts and rear ends. Characters use very strong language, including "f--k" and the "N" word and other racial slurs. Viewers see some gross photographs of an injured man. Characters are in extreme peril, both in racing and in shoot-outs. Robbing and shooting are sympathetically portrayed, and Brian's ultimate decision is a serious betrayal.
- Sexual Content
- Women serve as objectified eye candy in skimpy outfits around the cars and their drivers. A woman's breasts are shown through a wet shirt. A woman tells a driver at the starting line of a street race that if he wins, he gets to have a threesome with her and another woman. Men grope at women's breasts and rear ends. There are kisses between opposite-sex and same-sex couples.
- Unsurprisingly, there are frequent illegal street races and car chases. Pictures of a man after he was beaten in the face repeatedly with a wrench. A man gets a nozzle shoved into his mouth and is forced to drink motor oil. This same man is later kicked in the head. A trucker fires a shotgun at drivers trying to hijack his truck. Machine-gun fire in a drive-by shooting. A character gets hit in the head with a baseball bat. A fistfight results in visible blood.
- The "N" word is used once. A character is called a "faggot." "F--k." In one scene, two women are called "skanks." "S--t." "Hell." "Bastard."
- Social Behavior
- At the beginning of the DVD, one of the lead actors delivers a "Don't try this at home"-style PSA regarding all the high-speed car races and chases.
- Corona beer bottles prominently shown, product mentioned by name. Character drinks Snapple. Pizza Hut logo prominently featured on a pizza-delivery vehicle.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Beer drinking at a house party. Cigarette smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it