In this Oscar-winning classic with an iconic Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack, Dustin Hoffman turns in a landmark performance as a naïve college grad who is seduced by middle-aged neighbor Mrs. Robinson but ends up falling in love with her daughter.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Mike Nichols
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
- 1968 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Best Director (Motion Picture)
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
- Top 100 Laughs
- Top 100 Movies
- Top 100 Passions
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital Mono, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer.
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1 HD, English: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.0, French: Dolby Digital 5.0Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this is a unique classic comedy charting an affair between a young man and a married friend of his parents. Much time is spent on the initial seduction and subsequent clandestine meetings in hotel rooms. Though no graphic depictions of intercourse are shown, there are brief shots of female nudity during the seduction and later in a nightclub scene, where a woman strips down to underwear and pasties. Language is fairly restrained, with a few minor curse words, such as "ass" or "damn" used sparingly. Many of the adults drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes very casually.
- Sexual Content
- Sex is an ever-present topic. Ben has an affair with a married woman, then falls in love with her daughter. Mrs. Robinson, in bra, unbuttons Ben's shirt as he lies in bed, then rubs his bare chest. A few seconds of the nude Mrs. Robinson are on display. A topless dancer at a bar is covered only by tassels on her nipples while she does a seductive dance for several seconds.
- Ben rams his shoulder into a mob at a church, then grabs a large cross on the wall and wields it threateningly to keep the crowd back. Once outside, he uses the cross to bar the door.
- Infrequent use of, for example, "goddamn," "hell," and "ass" and the epithet "wop."
- Social Behavior
- Blond, blue-eyed WASP America tacitly indicted for oblivious privilege. Some may consider Ben's use of a cross in a church blasphemous.
- Celebration of elaborate gifts (Alfa Romeo, scuba gear).
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some drinking and smoking. Mrs. Robinson says she's an alcoholic.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it