The Horse Whisperer
After a riding accident, New Yorker Annie MacLean (Kristin Scott Thomas) takes her injured daughter, Grace (Scarlett Johansson), and a frightened, wounded horse to Montana. They're looking for Tom Booker (Robert Redford), a man with the unique ability to "talk" to horses. As Tom heals the horse, Annie's growing feelings for him make her reluctant to return to city life -- and her husband. Redford directs this Oscar-nominated drama.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Robert Redford
- 1999 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Best Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- 1999 Academy Award®
- Best Music Song nominee
YesLanguage and sound
French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Exceptional image and sound, but zippo in the extras department. Some of the scenes look a little soft, but that's how they were filmed, so what are you going to do? The sound is good and there are a surprising number of Low Frequency Effects to slam your subwoofers.
A simple menu design takes you to the chapters and language set up.
The Horse WhispererClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that The Horse Whisperer is a 1998 movie based on the Nicholas Evans novel of the same name. It depicts an accident that kills a girl and her horse and seriously injures another girl and horse. Those deaths and injuries inform all aspects of the rest of the nearly three-hour story. The surviving girl and horse both undergo gentle but firm therapy, and the famous Robert Redford-directed piece epically covers their slow and painful progress with beauty and eloquence. Profanity includes "s--t," "hell," "damn," "Jesus," "Christ," and "SOB." Finding one's place in the world, letting go, and the nature of love are all themes, which lead to a married woman deciding if she values her family above her personal needs.
- Sexual Content
- A man and woman who have been working together are suddenly aware they're attracted to each other, conveyed in long stares and a momentary touch. They kiss passionately fully clothed.
- A girl and her horse are killed in a collision with a truck. The impact is blurred so the gore is minimized, but a horse's bloody wounds are shown. Another girl and horse are badly injured.
- "S--t," "hell," "damn," "Jesus," "Christ," "SOB."
- Social Behavior
- It's important to find your place in the world. People should tell themselves the truth. Compassion, patience, and understanding can help pave the way to communication. No one can be in control all the time. It's important to let go of useless obsessions. When life gets difficult, don't give up and hide; stay and fight.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Adults drink wine.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it