The Little Rascals
Delightfully hilarious fun for the whole family. This movie is inspired by Hal Roach's very popular "Our Gang" TV series. Both longtime fans and newcomers will enjoy the shenanigans of the funniest little mischief makers of all time. They're all here! Spanky, Alfalfa, Buckwheat, Darla, Stymie, Porky, Petey the dog and all of the rascals star in this hilarious motion picture hit. The Little Rascals, directed by Penelope Spheeris, brings a whole new generation of rascals to today's audiences.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Penelope Spheeris
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
Spanish (Neutral), NoneClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.0, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
English SDH, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS-HD Master Audio, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Little RascalsClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this remake of the 1930s classic espouses some of the same prejudices as the original, relying on some "girls are gross" and anti-gay humor. The good news here is that the cast is integrated and it's less racist than the original. But there are things that would scare younger children, including thunder and a large Doberman that jumps on Alfalfa, knocking him over. The clubhouse catches fire and the kids put it out by themselves. Alfalfa drinks dish soap and bubbles come out when he sings -- parents may want to warn kids that this prank won't work as advertised.
- Sexual Content
- Alfalfa and Darla kiss three times. Alfalfa runs around in his underwear and once it's implied that he's totally naked in front of Darla and Waldo. A.J. kisses Spanky on the cheeks. Several girls and boys kiss.
- Butch and Woim threaten to beat up Alfalfa and Spanky. A large and scary dog jumps on Alfalfa. In a dream sequence, Alfalfa falls off a cliff and onto the rocks below. In a go-cart race, the kids drive through a grocery store parking lot and knock people over. Alfalfa punches Woim in the face, knocking him into mud.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Darla and her friends are very sexualized; everything is about love instead of being regular little girls. The gang is very girl-hating at the beginning of the film. There's also some gay-baiting jokes, including a segment where Spanky, dressed up as a girl in order to hide from Woim and Butch, flirts with the bullies. When he's revealed, the guys chase after him, calling him an "ugly little freak." When he goes into a Boys Club for protection, he's rejected.
- Characters mention Cracker Jacks and brands like Campbells Soup and Etch-A-Sketch are visible.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it