The Man in the Moon
Set in 1950s Louisiana, this coming-of-age drama follows a 14-year-old tomboy as she tries to cope with her budding sensuality and a rivalry with her older sister. Trouble begins to brew when the siblings both fall for their dreamy new neighbor.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Robert Mulligan
PG-13Parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; theatrical trailer
The Man in the MoonClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that while this movie will appeal to teens, particularly because of the popularity of its star Reese Witherspoon, it deals realistically and seriously with issues such as: trust, family bonds, adolescent sexuality, and loyalty, as well as the fragility and unpredictability of life. References and scenes that depict kissing, lovemaking, and partial nudity are designed to treat the characters, as well as the audience, with respect and dignity; nothing feels gratuitous for teens and up. There is a particularly shocking farm accident that has dire results.
- Sexual Content
- Teen girl in bra and panties in several scenes. Young female teen shown jumping into a pond naked; it's a rear view, from a discreet distance. Naked boy swimming in pond. Older teens shown in gentle embrace, then necking passionately. Same couple is seen in soft-hued distance naked after sex.
- Horrific accident on farm involving a thresher is seen from various angles, none overly close-up, graphic, or exploitative. Teen girl is hit with belt by father.
- Mild swearing on a very few occasions: "you ass," "goddamn," "get your cherry," "boobs."
- Social Behavior
- Adolescent behavior portrayed realistically and sensitively. Consequences of misbehavior are clear and consistent. 1950s parenting is shown to be strict, loving, and, in one instance, bordering on extreme, but true to the time and place. Human struggle between heart and mind, at any age, is examined truthfully. Role models exhibiting good values and admirable behavior are subtly drawn, but their impact is clear and heartfelt.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it