The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Vol. 1
This quirky Cartoon Network comedy chronicles the misadventures of Flapjack, a precocious kid who's flanked by two unlikely sidekicks: a talking whale named Bubbie and a rough-and-tumble pirate named Capt. K'nuckles. The first volume of episodes finds the trio racing a mechanical menace dubbed the "Alpha-Whale," tracking down the world's most valuable candy wrappers and making friends with (gasp!) a monster.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Vol. 1Close
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this series is filled with standard cartoon violence like extensive falls, collisions, and fistfights. Occasionally, there's also unrealistic use of firepower; in one scene, a cannon fires children instead of cannonballs (the kids emerge unscathed). Flapjack's adoration of Captain K'Nuckles is disturbing since the captain is selfish, dishonest, and unkind and routinely encourages Flapjack to ignore Bubbie's motherly advice. The series does attempt to convey positive messages about good social behavior, but the lessons are typically overshadowed by the rest of the content and the show's chaotic pace.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable.
- Standard cartoon violence -- extensive falls, collisions, and hand-to-hand battles -- none of which results in injury. Firepower includes guns (they're fired to signal the start of a race and aren't aimed at anyone) and cannons, which in at least one scene are used to fire kids at an opponent.
- No cursing, but words like "stupid" are used infrequently.
- Social Behavior
- Attempts at promoting positive messages related to social behavior ("It's not nice to brag," for instance) come across as an afterthought amid the cartoon chaos. Body humor (mostly gas) is a common source of humor. The show sometimes makes light of sensitive content; in one segment, for example, young kids are forced to labor in the belly of a mechanical whale before being shot out of a cannon.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Characters drink candy out of beer mugs.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it