The Oblongs: The Complete Series
Living near a polluted swamp in the pharmaceutical capital of the world is kind of a drag for the dysfunctional Oblong family, a misshapen clan of misfits who suffer from odd ailments and missing limbs every once in awhile. Based on cartoonist Angus Oblong's book Creepy Susie & 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children, this offbeat animated series features the vocal talents of twins Jason and Randy Sklar, Jean Smart and Will Ferrell.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Kelly Armstrong
TV-14Parents Strongly Cautioned. This program contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Oblongs: The Complete SeriesClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this cartoon is filled with sexual innuendoes and humor. Although the characters' various deformities are exaggerated for comedy, the underlying implication of the effects of toxic waste on our lives is slightly disturbing. Good lessons are scattered throughout the show, as the characters exhibit amazingly indomitable spirits despite their limitations.
- Sexual Content
- The main characters have sex nearly every night, and though the act isn't shown, the noises come through loud and clear. Sexual banter between the husband and wife is a series mainstay. One character has a phallus-shaped growth on her head.
- Not applicable
- "Ass," and "oh, God" (mostly during sex) are common.
- Social Behavior
- Aside from her addictions to sex, cigarettes, and alcohol, the mom is a devoted wife who loves her kids and thinks the world of her husband, despite his extreme deformities. The dad always puts his family first and is clearly in love with his wife. Characters with disabilities never poke fun at each other's issues, but the snobby residents of The Hills can be cruel.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- The mom chills out at the neighborhood bar and often drinks at home. She smokes cigarettes constantly, and the dad uses a pipe at home.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it