The Oprah Winfrey Show: 20th Anniversary Collection
Relive 20 unforgettable years with America's favorite talk-show host, the beloved and enduring Oprah Winfrey. This anniversary collection compiles the most touching, surprising and entertaining moments of Oprah's long-running show -- including interviews with the top stars of the last two decades, coverage of news events, makeovers and on-the-air stunts -- and offers a glimpse into the icon's home life and early years in television.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Oprah Winfrey Show: 20th Anniversary CollectionClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that while many episodes of this extremely popular talk show are upbeat and light, some deal with very mature themes -- including sexual assault, domestic violence, and child molestation. Many of these stories are offered within a context of survival and enlightenment. Special-event episodes feature Oprah giving away lots of brand-name stuff, and it's a guarantee that if she likes something, it will sell like hotcakes. Many regular guests, like Dr. Phil McGraw, end up getting their own shows and/or publishing books. The language is pretty mild overall, but words like "hell" and "damn" are sometimes audible.
- Sexual Content
- Topics range from healthy sexual relationships to discussions about sexual violence. Oprah has openly addressed her experiences with both molestation and teen pregnancy.
- Guests often discuss violent events that have impacted their lives. Special episodes have also dealt with issues like sexual assault, domestic violence, and how to protect yourself from violent crime.
- Words like "damn" and "hell" are audible.
- Social Behavior
- Over the years, the series has evolved from a tabloid talk show to a series that offers well-intentioned advice and guidance about wellness and self-improvement.
- Specific episodes feature Oprah discussing and/or giving away brand-name items like MAC cosmetics, Sony Camcorders, Samsung phones, LG refrigerators, Pontiac cars, and many more. Some guests who make regular appearances (like Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Phil McGraw), ultimately score their own books and TV shows. The show's popularity has led to the creation of a branded tie-in book club, a nonprofit charitable organization, a talk radio channel, a magazine, and a cable network.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drug and alcohol addiction are sometiems topics of discussion. Episodes have featured Oprah talking about her brief use of an illegal drug. Occasional champagne consumption.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it