A missionary loses her faith in God and devotes the rest of her life to debunking religious phenomena. But when she's called to investigate a series of strange occurrences that seem to be biblical plagues, she runs out of logical explanations.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Stephen Hopkins
- DVD and Blu-ray
RViolence, disturbing images and some sexuality
Full Screen 1.33:1, Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; featurettes.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.40:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral), Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, KoreanClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby True HDOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; cast and crew interviews; bonus featurettes.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this ominous, religious-themed thriller has lots of violent scenes, many involving children. Images include a river of blood, dead fish and frogs (some beset by maggots and flies), dead children's bodies and bones, a rape scene (cut into close ups and made confusing because the victim is drugged), the ritual sacrifice of children, scary shadows in creaky houses, faces covered with oozy boils, bloody walls and floors, a mural of a lynching, suicide, locusts attacking men, and flames shooting from the sky. Characters discuss faith and skepticism, and there's a little bit of drinking and some swearing (including at least one "f--k").
- Sexual Content
- Katherine wears tight tops; during a nightmarish, fragmented rape scene, sweaty body parts and her face appear in close-up.
- Several jump scenes in dark places; flashback scenes show sweaty, delirious poisoned Chilean villagers as well as angry Sudanese villagers dying of starvation and attacking white missionaries; images of dead fish and frogs in a river of blood and flies and maggots on fish; a dead boy's body (desiccated and creepy) appears several times; deranged cows attack a truck; scary point-of-view explorations of a dark house, a basement, and the woods; a nightmarish rape scene is intercut with a painful flashback; a scary "African" figure appears behind or near Katherine a few times; a woman commits suicide with handgun (off screen, though her body falls in the next shot); men are attacked by a swarm of locusts; discovery of skulls, bones, and bodies in a crypt; flames from the sky; a child is tied to table and threatened with ritual sacrifice (she screams); people with guns and knives threaten a young girl; a man grabs a woman and threatens her with a knife as they are swirled up in flames.
- At least one use of "f--k," plus other language ("s--t," "damn," etc.).
- Social Behavior
- A former missionary rediscovers her faith via signs from the devil -- a route that involves multiple deaths, a cult that sacrifices children, rape, and suicide.
- Mac PowerBook.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Beer drinking, homebrew drinking (which leads to Katherine's seeming hallucination), character carries a cigar.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it